Friday 13 April 2012

A Week of Madness!

It's rare to be involved in a show that receives standing ovations night after night.  Previous to directing Our House - The Madness Musical, i had only ever experienced it once when i was in the play version of The Shawshank Redemption  in Dublin's Gaiety Theatre.  That is an experience i will never forget.  5 weeks playing to packed houses in a twelve hundred seater theatre.  The most beautiful theater in the land.  And every night a standing ovation.  Incredible!

The difference with this show is that it's in a local Community Hall and the cast doesn't include anyone from HBO's The Wire!  Instead it is made up of Nurses, Bankers (the nice kind!), Teachers, IT professionals, Salesmen and numerous other 'normal job' type people!  Similar to Shawshank, however, is the commitment and professionalism that this young cast & crew have brought to the production.  And the energy they exude is felt throughout the entire hall with many of the audience commenting at the interval "I'm exhausted just looking at them!"


This is a local group putting on a Musical for the local community.  It's the group i popped my theatrical cherry with 21 years ago.  They're the reason i am now full time (well, as much as you can be full time in this Industry!).  They gave me my first writing gig.  My first Directing gig.  Suffice to say, i hold the group very close to my heart.

And that's what makes this week so special for me.  I've not just been asked to direct a show for a local Musical Society.  I'm directing a show where I am surrounded by people that I've grown up with.  Mates i've made for life!  People who have let me kip in there house so i can 'sleep off' the too much drink i had at a party when i may or may not have been slightly under the age limit!  Infact, there's one guy on stage who i remember as a fetus!!

This is why this show means as much to me as being in the unforgettable Shawshank.  And this cast deserve every ovation they get.  The only downside is, there's only 4 performances!

Leixlip Musical & Variety Group present 
OUR HOUSE - The Madness Musical 
April 11-14th
St. Mary's GAA
Leixlip 
Co Kildare
Ireland.





No comments: